| * PBS: National Parks|
* AR, MO: Ozarks
* KC KS water parks
* MO, KS, CO, OK, NM:
Santa Fe Trail
* SD: Black Hills
| Sween's Travel Guide |
State and National Park Lodging
Suggesting where to stay by
State, City, and type of lodging
plus state History and Genealogy
Cabins | Civil War sites
Dude & Guest Ranches
Water | Winter Resorts
| State and National Parks Lodging Reservations|
Planning to vacation at a State or National Park? Browse some options. Thanks for making your reservations on-line here.
| USA National Parks by State - with lodging - National Park Service |
USA National Parks by Name
|ALASKA (Make room reserverations in ALASKA)|
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK (south central Alaska)
Established in 1917 as Mt. McKinley National Park, Denali Park is open mid-May to mid-September. Pick where to spend your time among the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, Denali Bluffs Hotel, Mckinley Village Resort Lodge (open Memorial Day through Labor Day), the Mount Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, and more, with spectacular remote and mountainous scenery.
Wrangell - St. Elias National Park (southeastern Alaska)
Located in Wrangell/St. Elias National Park, the Ultima Thule Lodge is surrounded by 13.5 million acres of wilderness in southeastern Alaska along the Canadian border, and north of Cape Yakataga. The nearest highway is over 100 miles away. Arrange to fly here for hiking, fishing, skiing, photography, climbing, rafting, dog mushing, flightseeing, beachcombing, and getting away to something different. WHERE TO STAY.
|ALABAMA (Make room reserverations in ALABAMA)|
National Parks, Trails, and Sights in AL, NPS.gov
|ARIZONA (Make room reserverations in ARIZONA)|
Grand Canyon National Park (northern Arizona)
* South Rim:
Bright Angel Lodge is on the south rim of Grand Canyon National Park. The lodge and accompaning 89 cabins are listed on the national historic register. Horseback riding, hiking, and tours are available, as well as a museum and 2 on-site restaurants.
Grand Canyon (Tusayan) (northern Arizona)
* South of the canyon along Hwy 64, along Hwy 64 south of the national park, offers lodging near the park including
Grand Canyon (Tusayan)
Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn
The Grand Hotel and Canyon Star
Red Feather Lodge
Nearby - * Williams, AZ (north of Phoenix, south of the Grand Canyon)
About 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon where Hwy 64 meets I-40, Williams is in the northern part of the Coconino National Forest, about 30 miles west of Flagstaff. Historic Route 66 went through both towns. People vacation here for air tours, rafting, biking, hunting, fishing, hiking, natural trails, snow skiing. The Meteor Crater is about 70 miles east near I-40. The Quality Inn Mountain Ranch and Resort offers mountain views, horseback riding, golf, skiing, tennis, and fishing within 6 miles. Enjoy hay rides and cookouts from mid-May to September. Moose Manor, 8 miles east of Williams, is a vacation rental across from the Grand Canyon Deer Farm. WHERE TO STAY
|ARKANSAS (Make room reserverations in ARKANSAS)|
| Arkansas Post National Memorial (Gillette; southeastern AR) - rooms nearby in Dumas|
Buffalo National River (Harrison AR) - rooms
Central High School National Historic Site (Little Rock AR) - rooms
Fort Smith National Historic Site (Fort Smith AR) - rooms
Hot Springs National Park (Hot Springs, AR) - rooms
Pea Ridge National Military Park (Pea Ridge; northwest AR) - rooms nearby in Fayetteville - map - Pea Ridge eCards
|CALIFORNIA (Make room reserverations in CALIFORNIA)|
Death Valley National Park
* Panamint Springs Resort, in the Panamint Valley, is on Hwy 190 inside the west entrance of the park, 48 miles east of Lone Pine and 31 miles west of Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley. There are shops and a restaurant on-site. The scenes you will see include distant sand dunes and the Panamint Mountains. The resort is 175 miles west of Las Vegas, and is several degrees cooler on average from other lodging in Death Valley. While Panamint Springs Resort is remote and doesn't have cable tv, it does offer wi-fi access to guests bringing laptops.
Yosemite National Park (east central California) offers several lodging options, including
* Ahwahnee Hotel in the Yosemite Valley, one mile east of Yosemite Village. Plan to see breathtaking scenes of the park from your room. Take guided tours from the hotel. Go horseback riding, bicycling, hiking, rafting from the hotel. Nature programs and photography are naturals for this park. Seasonal, free transportation is available for ice skating and snow shoeing. The Ahwahnee Dining Lounge is on site, as is fishing, tennis, shops, and skiing.
* The Wawona Hotel is 7 miles inside the South Entrance of the park. On site are fishing, 9 holes of golf (Apr-Oct), tennis, shopping. Baths are shared. Come here to horseback ride, hike, rock climb, take pictures, go on nature tours, and drive through the park. Yosemite Valley is 25 miles away, Badger Pass Ski Area is 16 miles away, and the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoias is 6 miles away. Also see the Pioneer History Center and covered bridge.
* The Yosemite Lodge is a mountain resort located in Yosemite Valley at the base of Yosemite Falls, 1 mile west of Yosemite Village. When you aren't fishing, skiing, biking, shopping, photographing, or enjoying a meal on site, you may want to take the free bus to Badger Pass Ski Area (22 miles), play golf at Wawona (25 mi), drive through the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias (33 mi). Rafting, horseback riding, rock climbing, hiking, nature programs, and guided tours are also available nearby.
|COLORADO (Make room reserverations in COLORADO)|
Rocky Mountain National Park (northern Colorado)
* Estes Park
Mesa Verde National Park (southern Colorado)
* Mesa Verde
* Far View Lodge, located 18 miles inside Mesa Verde National Park, is open late April to late October. During part of the year, you can take archaeological site tours. Some private balconies on the Lodge has views up to 100 miles away.
|FLORIDA (Make room reserverations in FLORIDA)|
Everglades National Park (southern Florida, 12 miles west of Florida City)
* Homestead and * Florida City ("Gateway to the Florida Keys")
|HAWAII (Make room reserverations in HAWAII)|
Hawaii Volcanos National Park
Hikers can choose to stay in rustic cabins at Namakani Paio Cabins, 3 miles from the National Park, or Volcano House on Crater Rim Drive inside the park.
|IDAHO (Make room reserverations in IDAHO)|
National Parks in Idaho (map):
Nez Perce National Historic Park, in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington. In northwestern Idaho, the park's Spalding Visitor Center is 11 miles east of Lewiston, ID near U.S. Hwy 95.
Hagerman Fossil Beds at Hagerman ID
City of Rocks (Almo, ID)
Craters of the Moon (Arco, ID)
the western tip of Yellowstone National Park, on Wyoming border
|KENTUCKY (Make room reserverations in KENTUCKY)|
Mammoth Cave National Park (northeast of Bowling Green)
By staying at the Mammoth Cave Hotel, you have time for cave tours and trails, going for horseback rides, hike, bike, canoe, and taking a river cruise.
State Resort Parks:
Cadiz, KY: Lake Barkley State Resort Park has indoor and outdoor pools, cable tv, fishing, 18 hole golf course, tennis, shops, hot tub, sauna, and fitness center on-site. Guide services, boat launch and rental, jet ski rental, game room, and playground are also available. Consider taking the bison viewing tour, and touring a 1700s mansion. Part of the Land Between the Lakes recreation area.
Gilbertsville, KY: Kentucky Dam Village State Park near the Land Between the Lakes, offers nearby an 18 hole golf course, horseback riding, marina, with the Kentucky Dam Village Dining Room nearby. With an outdoor pool, coffee makers in the rooms, tv, and other amenities, the 14 room Inn may be rented as an entire unit for groups.
Hardin, KY: Kenlake State Resort Park has an outdoor heated pool, full kitchens available, cable tv, marina, campground, playground, boat rental and docks. Bring your golf clubs to play on the 9 hole golf course on site. Tennis courts, too. Part of the Land Between the Lakes recreation area.
Slade, KY: Natural Bridge State Resort Park has an outdoor pool, restaurant, fishing, and golf on-site. Nearby is the Sky Lift, miniature golf, pedal boat rentals, hiking, mountain biking, and skiing. Slade is southeast of Louisville and Lexington.
Eddyville, KY: Mineral Mound State Park on Lake Barkley in the Land Between the Lakes Recreation Area. The park has an 18-hole golf course, partially situated in wooded area, and the back 9 holes offer lake views. Nearby is the Country Hearth Inn, located in Eddyville next to the Venture Action Water Park, and near the Outlet Mall and several restaurants.
|MAINE (Make room reserverations in MAINE)|
Acadia National Park (seashore of central coastal Maine)
* Bar Harbor
|MONTANA (Reserve your rooms in MONTANA) National Parks to see in MT|
Glacier National Park (northwestern Montana)
Lodging in the Glacier National Park is seasonal, May or June through September. The Glacier Park Lodge has a western theme at the southeastern edge of the park. Plan to take sightseeing tours and go horseback riding. There is a 9 hole golf course nearby. Lake McDonald Lodge is 10 miles inside the west entrance of the park. Many Glacier Hotel has a Swiss atmosphere and is located in the northeast part of the park.
None of these lodges has TV's or air conditioning. WHERE ELSE TO STAY
Little Big Horn Battle Field National Monument:
The Wald Ranch in Lodge Grass on the Crow Reservation is a Bed and Breakfast a few miles south of the monument. Book your reservation here for horseback riding, trailing cattle, checking cattle in the pastures, haying, harvesting, irrigating, and more. This is a family ranch in the scenic Big Horm Mountain foothills. Where to stay
Two other options are to stay 15 miles northwest of the monument area in Hardin, MT. The American Inn has a 140 foot water slide, playground, BBQ and picnic area, honeymoon suites and casino, and free long distance (in the USA). Area attractions include hunting, boating, spelunking, bird watching, rock collecting, scuba diving, museums, shops, and the Yellowtail Dam and Big Horn Lake and River. Also check out the Super 8 Motel in Hardin on 14th Street West. With horse corrals nearby, other activities center around the Custer Battlefield National Monument, Big Horn River trout fishing, Big Horn Canyon National recreation area. With the Crow Reservation nearby, Hardin is the location of the Crow Indian Fair. Where else to stay.
|NEBRASKA (Make room reserverations in NEBRASKA)|
* Beatrice, NE is near the Homestead National Monument of America, commemorating the Homestead Act of 1862.
* Gering, NE is the town nearest Scotts Bluff National Monument. "The north face of Scotts Bluff shows more geological history than any other place in Nebraska."
* Creighton, NE west on Hwy 59 in northeast NE - see a fossil bed of animals at a watering hole when an ancient volcano errupted at Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park. The park is southwest of Creighton. map
* Valentine, NE is near the Niobrara National Scenic River where "visitors can float the river by tube, canoe, kayak or raft from mid-April to mid-October."
|NORTH CAROLINA (Make room reserverations in NORTH CAROLINA)|
Great Smokey Mountains National Park - (western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee)
National Park Service site - Wikipedia - WikiTravel - Smokeys Trip Planner
Area Museums: Museum of the Cherokee Indian (Cherokee, NC), Great Smokey Mountain Heritage Center
* Bryson CityNantahala Village, vacation rentals, and Sleep Inn are located in the heart of the Great Smokey Mountains with hiking, boating, fishing, golf, white water rafting (Nantahala Outdoor Center) , and kayaking nearby. Within 10 miles are Cherokee Indian Reservations, Harrah's Casino, and the Great Smokey Railway.* CherokeeWith high speed internet access, outdoor pool, and seasonal (Apr through Nov) restaurant on site, the Best Western Great Smokies Inn provides a good "home base" for explorations into the park. The Holiday Inn Express - Cherokee Casino has child care, an outdoor pool, and coffee makers in the rooms.* Fontana DamThe Fontana Village Resort is close to whitewater rafting, mountain biking, hiking, and backpacking. The Great Smoky Mountains and the Nantahala Gorge are nearby.* Maggie ValleyMaggie Valley Golf Resort offers you villas and condos and many amenities in this scenic area. The Timberwolf Creek Bed and Breakfast is a non-smoking establishment near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherokee Reservation & Harrah's Casino, and the Cataloochee Ski Resort, with whitewater rafting, hiking, fishing, waterfalls nearby.* Waynesvillesoutheast of the national park
|SOUTH DAKOTA (Make room reserverations in SOUTH DAKOTA) National Parks to see in SD Black Hills|
Badlands - south of Wall, SD - Wall became popular with the local drug store inviting tourists to stop for "free ice water" and then to look around. Today Wall Drug is a shopping destination, and the restaurant across the street has good food.
Jewel Cave NM - near Custer, SD - What to see in Custer
Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail - through SD capitol Pierre, SD (and 10 other states)
Minuteman Missile National Historic Site - near Wall, SD; 75 miles east of Rapid City
Missouri National Recreational River - Yankton, SD
Mount Rushmore National Memorial - Keystone, SD - What to see in Keystone
Wind Cave National Park - near Hot Springs, SD - What to see in Hot Springs plus buffalo in the park
|TENNESSEE (Make room reserverations in TENNESSEE) National Parks to see in TN|
Great Smokey Mountains National Park - (western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee)
National Park Service site - Wikipedia - WikiTravel - Smokeys Trip Planner
Tennessee Encyclopedia with County Histories and the history of the Great Smoky Mountains National ParkTN Museums:
Oak Ridge: American Museum of Science and Energy
Piney Flats: Rocky Mount Museum - living history at the US Territorial Capitol, 1790-92, on Hwy. 11E between Johnson City, TN, and Bristol, TN/VA.
* Gatlinburg - attractions - historyThe Super 8 Motel on Hwy 321 offers a hot tub, an outdoor pool, and is 1 mile from the national park, the Convention Center. The Gatlinburg Ski Area, Ski Ober Gatlinburg, is nearby, as is the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies and Dollywood amusement park is 6 miles away. Sunterra Bent Creek Golf Village and Greenbrier Valley Resorts both have on-site golf. Park Vista Hotel & Convention Center* Johnson CityPrincess Motel, at US 411/129 South, has an outdoor pool and cable tv. It is a half mile from the Royal Oaks Golf Course, near the Foothills Mall, and 20 miles from the national park.* Sevierville
Starr Crest Resort in Sevierville offer you cabins with a view of the Great Smokey Mountains, room service, outdoor pool, some full kitchens, cable TV, hot tub available, and your pet is welcome too. Other features include 1-6 bedrooms, in-room massage, grills, washer/dryer. During holidays, there is a 3-4 night minimum stay.* Townsend
Valley View Lodge is on US-321 8 miles from the Cades Cove entrance to the park. Maple Leaf Lodge, a health spa, has hot tubs, television, massage. The Comfort Inn has designated pet rooms with fee (20 lb limit), outdoor pool, whirlpool rooms available, cable tv, refrigerator in room. The Trailhead Steakhouse and Subway are restaurants within walking distance.* Walland between Townsend and Maryville; Hwy 321 to West Millers Cove Road.Blackberry Farm is a mountain resort with Farmhouse Spa, outdoor pool, whirlpool rooms available, cable tv, restaurant, fishing, tennis, fitness center on-site. Whether you come for adventure, relaxation, sports, romance, great food and wine, and/or farm activities, consider this year round destination.
|TEXAS (Make room reserverations in TEXAS)|
* Alibates Flint Quarries, National Monument (northern Texas)near Fritch TX you might stay in Amarillo, which is south of the lakes and the quarries, and north of Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Texas Beyond History explains more history of the Alibates area
* Amistad National Recreation Area (southern Texas on the international border with Ciudad Acuna, Mexico)* Del Rio is on the Texas-Mexico border. Lake Amistad, with all its water sports, is just a few miles away.
* Big Bend National ParkYou can stay in the Big Bend Park at the Chisos Mountains Lodge. Or you might want to stay in Corpus Christi, TX with the Malaquite Visitor Center
* Fort Davis National Historic SiteAs a home base in Fort Davis, TX, try the Veranda Historic Inn Bed & Breakfast there, one block from the County Courthouse. They are not only near the Fort Davis National Historic Site, but the Balmorhea State Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, and Davis Mountain State Park as well.
* Guadalupe Mountains National Park in western Texasnear Salt Flat; Headquarters Visitor Center is in Pine Springs. Texas Beyond History explains the importance of salt.
* Padre Island National Seashore* Corpus Christi, TX hosts the Malaquite Visitor Center
|UTAH (Make room reserverations in UTAH)|
Bryce Canyon National Park (southwestern Utah)
Staying by the Bryce Canyon National Park gives you access to explore the unique geology of eroded colorful limestone rocks and cliffs.
Zion National Park (northern Colorado)
* Near Springdale UT, Zion National Park offers Zion Lodge and Zion Mountain Resort for hiking, exploring, and viewing the nearby park. Horseback and ATV riding available. The lodge is north of the Visitor Center on Highway 9. The resort with cabins is 3 miles from the East Entrance of the park. A friend who went to the Grand Canyon in March also went to Zion National Park where she had a cabin complete with electric fireplace in the corner. She preferred Zion where you look up to see the sights more than the Grand Canyon where you stand on the canyon rim and look down.
|VIRGINIA (Make room reserverations in VIRGINIA)|
Shenandoah National Park lodging (northern Virginia)
History of the Shenandoah Valley in the Civil War* Big Meadows Lodge and Skyland Lodge are two mountain resorts in the National Park.
Nearby: * LurayDays Inn - Shenandoah National Park on Rt 211 is centrally located near Luray Caverns, Shenandoa National Park, Shenandoah River, Lake Arrowhead Recreational Park, Luray Cavern Golf Course, and the Harrisonburg and New Market Civil War battlefields.
Where else to stay in Luray. See more at Civil War page
|WASHINGTON (Make room reserverations in WASHINGTON)|
Olympic National Park (western Washington)
* Port Angeles is about an hour east of the park.
* Lake Crescent Lodge is open mid May to mid October with cottages on the shore of Lake Crescent. Come here to fish, hike, and go horseback riding. The Lodge Dining Room is on-site.
* Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, on the North Olympic Peninsula of Washington state, is 12 miles inside the park. Open spring through fall, the cabins and RV park offer 3 mineral pools and a swimming pool.
|WYOMING (Make room reserverations in WYOMING)|
Grand Teton National Park (western Wyoming)
South of park is the National Elk refuge - more info* Teton Village offers several choices in the area including Jackson Hole.
* MooseLost Creek Ranch, open from late May to mid-September, has courtesy pickup to and from Jackson Hole Airport. They provide wireless internet access, fitness center, hot tub, tennis, and restaurant on-site. There is no tv, but a heated pool, child care, and other amenities.* JacksonJackson Hole Lodge has an indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, game room, cable tv, and coffee makers in the rooms. Ski resorts are nearby. The Grand Teton National Park is 10 minutes away, and Yellowstone National Park is an hour drive.
Yellowstone National Park (northwestern Wyoming)
* Come to Yellowstone National Park to spend more time exploring bubbling geysers and timing Old Faithful. Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and Cabins, at the north entrance of the park, has a early May to mid-October regular season, and a late December to early March season for winter activities. Watch for the elk. No TV, no Radios, no A/C, no Internet - what a hoot! Old Faithful Inn is open mid-May to mid-October, and is a National Historic Landmark. Lake Lodge Cabins are open mid-June through mid-September and have laundry facilities. Lake Yellowstone is nearby.
You can check room rates and date availability on-line. Lodging within Yellowstone National Park requires us to contact them to fulfill requests. It is important to make reservations MONTHS AHEAD of when you plan to visit.
by Sween, 2005 -
This page is part of Sween's Travel Guide